Sunday, November 14, 2010

Restaurant Reviews: Korma Sutra

{image via Korma Sutra}

Two words:  GF Naan.  Ok, well I'm not sure that actually qualifies as two words, but let's ignore the technicalities and focus on what's really important here... gluten free naan.  I love Indian food and after going GF I was relieved to learn that most Indian food dishes are naturally gluten free.  However, to me, one of the quintessential parts of the Indian experience is sopping up all of those delicious sauces with your fresh warm naan bread.  Sure there are pappadums (little Indian crisps which are made with chickpea flour), but they're just not quite the same. 

So where am I going with all this?  Well last night hubbs and I went out to dinner at a relatively new Indian restaurant called Korma Sutra.  After placing our order - we both opted for the chicken tikka masala and split some saag paneer - and informing the waiter that I did not want any bread on my plate because of an allergy, the executive chef came out to inform me that they could make me fresh gluten free naan!  She told us that they make it often (using millet flour) for their gluten free customers and can also accommodate those with lactose and other food sensitivities as well.

Not only was the food safe to eat, it was delicious!  The sauces were smooth and delicately flavored with just the right amount of spice.  The entrees also came with rice and vegetables, which were really good.  The food was definitely a bit on the pricey side (entrees were about $20), but the restaurant is BYOB with no corking fee so we felt it was pretty affordable.

The chef and her husband are the owners of the restaurant and came by to check on us multiple times.  We felt really welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. I've encouraged them to advertise their knowledge of food allergies and their amazing gluten free naan on their website, but in the meantime I hope you all go and check it out.



Since I wasn't planning on writing a review, I was only able to snap one picture using my blackberry, so you'll have to go check it out for yourselves! 


2 comments:

  1. Also- I'm super glad I found your blog since we're in the same area, and now I really want to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely go. It was amazing. I can't wait to try some of your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete