Saturday, July 3, 2010

Recipes: Gluten Free All Purpose Flour


Gluten free baking is not as simple as taking a traditional gluten containing recipe and swapping rice flour for the wheat flour. Gluten adds certain properties to wheat flour and the most difficult part about gluten free baking is learning to compensate for the lack of those properties with the combination of gluten free flours you use. I've tried a number of gluten free mixes and flour blends (many of which I like), but this simple recipe is one I turn to time and again as a cup for cup substitute for all purpose flour, especially in cakes and muffins. I know these days, gluten free bakers are turning to some of the more nutritious flours, such as sorghum and amaranth, but I find that this is a much more reliable blend to simply have on hand. I recommend mixing up a batch or two and storing it in the fridge in a large ziplock bag so its ready to go whenever you need it!


*This blend works great in most cake, muffin, and quick bread type recipes, but will NOT work in traditional gluten containing bread recipes. Don't even try it, you'll be very dissapointed! Also, this blend contains xantham gum, which some people have told me in the past they feel is very expensive. You may choose to use guar gum instead, but I personally have never tried it. I would say that although xantham gum is not cheap, most recipes require a mere teaspoon, and stored in the fridge a single bag has lasted me close to a year before.


THREE FLOUR ALL PURPOSE BLEND



  • 2 cups rice flour (brown or white - but I prefer white)

  • 2/3 cups potato starch

  • 1/3 cups tapioca starch

  • 1 tsp xantham gum

No comments:

Post a Comment